The main Spartanburg Water building is located at 200 Commerce Street, Spartanburg, SC 29306. Most of the water service for the City of Spartanburg and Spartanburg County is provided by Spartanburg Water. The Spartanburg Water System has been in operation since the early 1880s in one fashion or another.
Spartanburg Water History
- 1881: The South Carolina Secretary of State charters Spartanburg’s first water works as a privately held company. The Chinquapin Filter Plant, was setup at 250 Whitney Road in Spartanburg.
- 1899: Chinquapin Filter Plant is purchased and becomes the Home Water Supply Company.
- 1907: The City of Spartanburg purchased the Home Water Supply Company.
- 1908 The first Commissioners of Public Works were elected in the spring.
- 1926: R. B. Simms Filtration Plant and Reservoir #1 began operation with a 6-million-gallon-per-day capacity, serving over 30,000 people.
- 1929: Act 556 of the S.C. General Assembly creates The Spartanburg Metropolitan District.
- 1931: Lawson Fork and Fairforest Wastewater Treatment Plants began operations.
- 1943: The Spartanburg Water Works building relocated to downtown Spartanburg.
- 1960: Lake Bowen (Reservoir Number 2) is created by a new Dam.
- 1973: The Spartanburg Sanitary Sewer District Commission becomes the governing body of the District.
- 1976: The Commission of Public Works authorizes the creation of the H. Taylor Blalock Reservoir.
- 1999: The Water Treatment Facility at Lake Blalock began its operations.
- 2002-2007: The Fairforest plant’s capacity was increased providing for the eventual decommissioning of the Lawson Fork plant.
- 2008: The Spartanburg Sanitary Sewer District takes over The City of Spartanburg’s sewer system.
- 2013: Water Treatment Facility Blalock is renamed the Myles W. Whitlock Water Treatment Facility.
- 2019: Fairforest Wastewater Treatment Facility is renamed the A. Manning Lynch Wastewater Treatment Facility.